Greetings from, apparently, a mostly-in-the-winter blogger! When looking at Maggie's blog today (great
kid's puppet theatre reporting, by the way!), I saw that it has been three months since I posted. In that time I have been to Russia, the Dakotas, Denver, and fishing! So there you have it...
So, on to the news at hand. Most of you are aware that I painted a good deal of my house last summer (one posting even showed me high on a scaffolding in the front painting the didely little Victorian shingles) so this summer there remained the third story peaks, where I am much to timid to venture.
Lucky me! With the help of a friend I met Alex, who lives just around the corner from me. He is a very skilled painter and a mountain/rock climber. Wouldn't you know he uses is rock-climbing gear (harness,
ropes, etc.) to walk up steep roofs to paint? He is speeding along and agreed to a few pictures so you'd see how it works.
Here is Alex painting the high brown trim. When he spotted me with my camera he grinned and
shouted, "Look, no hands!" (Notice the harness
around his waist.)
If you care to enlarge this, you'll see he's hooked up
to a rope that runs over the roof and is tied to
one of the new fenceposts on the south side of the yard. The post is set in concrete so will easily hold a falling adult painter!
I think this is so amazing---he just walks happily up and down the steep roof, painting as he goes. Both hands are free to work, which is so much better than leaning from and gripping a ladder with one nervous hand.
Here is the old homestead (especially for the benefit of Suzie and Travis!). Sky is blue,
grass is green, paint is on, things are good at 912 Greene.
Note: I am leaving August 7th to take a canoe trip on the Green River in Utah. When I come
home I promise a post with amazing river pictures---I have a new water blaster that
holds a quart of water. I should be able to make lots of friends with that! PDM

No comments:
Post a Comment