Monday, April 21, 2008

The Joys of Arizona/Texas Friends and Sunshine

Never in my life (up until now!) had I ever thought I might have a streak of "snowbird" in me. However, when the snow continued to get deeper and deeper (see previous post) I happily accepted invitations from friends in Arizona and Texas to head south so I could dry out my feet and get warm. Just before Easter I loaded Scarlet (my bright red car that takes me wherever I need to go) with clothes for a month, my swimming suit, some books waiting to be read, some maps, and my camera.
My home base was with long-time friend, Sandy Weaver, at her new winter home in Surprise, Arizona (west of Phoenix). The Easter Bunny found me there! We had a great time at a spring training baseball game, shopping and framing pictures for the house, soaking in the backyard spa under a full moon, and walking to this great coffee house when we needed a little joe! She and Tom have created a very attractive winter haven and I felt priviledged to be their first guest!
Suzie joined us for a long weekend which was really special. Here we are, sunning with the flamingos at the zoo! Pennsylvania had a long, cold, and icy winter so Suz was glad to come get warm! She had recently been released from crutches after breaking her leg in December so we enjoyed a celebration of her restored mobility.
Time to go to Texas! In Houston I enjoyed a reunion with friends from the early days of our marriages---foty-one years ago to be precise. Skip and Cindy Young were great companions when Charlie and were at K-State in school---Skip and Charlie fished, Cindy and I car-pooled to teach, we all played bridge on Friday nights, etc. etc. We enjoyed two days at their house on Lake Conroe, joy-riding in Skip's great bass boat when he wasn't fishing!Here are Skip and Cindy with Cindy's mom, the great dessert-maker, and daughter, Julie, a school librarian. Cindy and I had such fun while Skip worked (you see, he isn't retired, yet!).
We toured the Houston Space Center, picked strawberries at a berry farm for pie and jam, and visited endlessly about things we love to do, our families, and life in general. We discovered, that even though so many years have passed, we still are very much alike and have a great time together. I loved staying in their guest house, which they have dubbed "The Outhouse." What a fine place for escaping the cold of a Colorado winter! It came with regular meals, cocktails at five, and great entertainment!
One of the reasons for going to Texas was to see the Texas Bluebonnets (state flower) in bloom, after hearing about these gorgeous flowers for years. We saw fields of them, looking much like water from a distance. Often they have patches of bright orange paintbrush within the fields of blue---when I suggested they looked like Bronco flowers the Youngs frowned! They are true Texans and love their home teams.
One day we drove to the bay east of Houston to purchase fresh shrimp for dinner. While there I was amazed at the homes right on the bay which are built on stilts so the big storms and hurricanes that blow in from the Gulf of Mexico do less harm. Some have garage doors on either end of the house so the water can just roll through. Talk about a wild way to clean and scrub your garage!
Cindy and I went to an Antique Rose farm on the Blue Bonnet day---here we are in the lovely flowers. We had lunch at Tex's Bar-B-Q where all the locals eat; delicious!

I also went to Yuma, Arizona which is about as close to Mexico and California as you can get and still be in Arizona. It is where the Colorado River rolls through carrying water to all the farming areas of the southwest. While there I visited Mel and Marilyn Davis, with whom I lived when I was in high school. We determined that was a cool fifty years ago! We toured a date farm, which was most interesting and tasty---have you ever had a date milk shake? Delicious!
So, my friends and family, I need to report that I feel most fortunate to have such wonderful long-time friends (I no longer feel I can say "old friends"---that would be the pot calling the kettle black, wouldn't it?)---we seemed to pick up our friendships so easily and comfortably.
Cherish your friends---and many thanks to mine in Arizona and Texas, ESPECIALLY Sandy who allowed me to flow in and out for a month!
Over and out---I am off to North Dakota, Portland, and Minneapolis for the northern version of my southern trip. Shall post a report the end of May when I return home. Bye!






2 comments:

Suz said...

So glad I got to spend a quick weekend with you and Sandy in the sun! Aren't the bluebonnets beautiful? I chuckled at your Broncos suggestion. Have fun in the North!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you were only 2 1/2 hours from Lake Charles and didn't get over to have some Cajun cooking too. It sounds like you are really enjoying retirement. When I grow up I want to be like you!