Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Astonishing Snow in Silverton!

Greetings from snowy Silverton located high in the San Juan Mountains at 9318 feet! Here is my cozy little house all tucked in with its amazing blanket of snow. I'm not sure anyone has an idea of how much snow we've had since Thanksgiving but it is currently well over 200 inches!


The picture below features the glorious blue skies we enjoy in Colorado, when it isn't snowing, as well as the north side of my house. There actually are windows on this side of the house, and the current view out the windows is of snow! (I keep wondering if someday I'll see a snow snake peering in and smiling at me!) The roof of the sunroom at the rear of the house has disappeared totally and simply looks like a long, slanting snowdrift.

Now we come to a picture of the results of an activity which engages most Silvertonians many hours a winter. Because our little Victorian homes do not have garages, and most (such as mine) do not have space to add one, we have to create off-street parking spaces for our vehicles. Here is Scarlet (my Dodge Durango), basking in the sun in her parking space which is around the corner from my house. Friends from Dallas allow me to use space in their driveway during the winter, while they are moving their lawn in Texas. I took this photo yesterday after clearing away the evidence (snow) of the storm the night before. It still amazes me, after living here all these years, at how quickly vehicles and roads dry after a big storm.

Last of all, for this posting, here is a photo of our church, during a storm. The detail is not clear because of the falling snow, but it will give you an idea of the amounts of snow that accumulate before our snowplow boys do their work!
P.S. I am currently making cinnamon rolls to deliver to the snowplow crew tomorrow morning for their coffee. They start at 4:30 am during a storm or the day after to clear our streets and make living here possible. Next posting will be after I return from the Copper Canyon area of Mexico. Adios!

2 comments:

Byron Graham said...

Wonderful Pictures Penny! I got cold just looking at them. I remember you were worried before about getting Popeye arms from shoveling snow, now I understand why. Those pictures also go a long way in explaining why I make my trips to the area in July. Do you happen to have any pictures from the Red Mountain Pass area?
Keep the blog alive and try to stay warm.

Byron Graham

Melinda said...

Hey Penny,

Thanks for sending the blog! I had fun seeing your snowy home :-) Enjoy Mexico!

Melinda